Sunday, February 8, 2009

Women and their burdens


Women are a most fascinating set among God’s wonders; they have been called many things and mean many things to different people; eve, necessary evils, helpmate, love, soul mate, missing rib it is difficult to imagine what this world would be like without them. They add a colour, liveliness, a heightened excitement to the burden of living. They possess a quality that naturally makes us men incomplete and attracts us to them, which goes beyond their anatomy or physical configuration
But really at times I cannot but look at them with amazement. Lately I have come to look at them as kind of naturally attuned to the task bearing burdens. This has become apparent to me in many ways

First I want to talk about the concept of “I want to make my hair “. Depending on the complexity of the style; some exquisite, others outlandish, some intricate others simple, some worth every time spent making it, others a work of art gone bad. They do not just spend a lot to get their hair done, they sit for endless hours. While having their neck being turned and twisted in different directions, in order to, accomplish the final work of art. But, surprisingly, even before the end of the week the first in a series of complaints begin to come in, about being tired of the hair that is despite the many man hours spent putting it together, but as a guy with your sparse change you could have your haircut done in a couple of minutes, yet still I can take a dip in the pool without taking the necessary precaution with my hair. Another marvel is when there is there is a slight whiff of heat; they way some ladies bang or scratch their hair like they were in some sort of deliverance session.

On their necks they arm themselves with all sorts of accessories and clamp their ears with earrings of varying weights and worth. Normally I would have said men wouldn’t exchange their liberties for such burden, but I am aware of the new fad or concept of the metro man, (David Beckam one of their proponent) who make their hair and load themselves with all sorts of jewellery.

The next thing is the handbag, without doubt women have always carried bags, but maybe why this is more apparent is that presently the dictates of fashion requires them to carry extremely big bags. Pray to God that you do not have to look for something in it, chances are that you might get frustrated and not be able to find your way out. More often than not they carry a whole lot of (u) necessary stuff that they might not need. As a man I would never want to give up the liberty of being able to swing my arms wildly and freely in any direction hallelujah!!

It is also lovely to watch a woman evolving through the various stages of conception. Really I don’t know why some men say that they are put off by their wives during this period. The grace with which they carry themselves is interesting to behold. I times when I think about this, I cannot but acknowledge the effort it normally takes to carry oneself at times, now adding the burden of another, yet still they go about their daily activities to a considerable extent, can you imagine not being able to put down the baggage once in a while during the 9 month period (wow!) that must take a lot

To crown this whole lot they have to deal with, you would think that they would choose the most convenient thing to rest these on, but no way!, they still went ahead to invent the high heels. Really, you would think if any one was to wear such complicated things it would be men. The last time I tried to put my feet in one was in my childhood years, when I put my feet in my mum’s, shoes I almost broke my ankles. Since then I have held on tenaciously to the notion that it takes a special skill and well practiced balancing act to wear such things

Truly I have nothing against this special breed, and as a matter of fact I intend to spend the rest of my life with one. These are just playful musing from my manly bias and highly subjective perspective


Babatunde Ayorinde Akinwale

2 comments:

  1. You've got to give it to the Woman -the FEMALE..
    She's everything in life!!
    And a man can't know his best colours except a woman adds colour to his life - these colours you mentioned and more!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burdens we love, loads we do not need taken away from us, Worse yet, we add more heavier burdens- Men! And we are sure very capable.

    ReplyDelete