Sunday, February 8, 2009

MORE THAN JUST A BOXING BOUT

Some days back, while working at the office I was intermittently watching a muted version of the live boxing bout between a Nigerian in Blue overalls and an opponent in red overalls, whom I initially supposed was Cuban. During what I dare not call a fight- rather a beating. The Nigerian was soundly trashed. 3 times he hit the canvas. A fine and painful education, I must say, for the Nigerian boxer in the art of pugilism. Mercifully the referee prematurely ended the match before it got worse.

With a sense of resignation, I excused this ominous defeat with the thinking that this is just the beginning of the games, there is still much to look forward to, and secondly we lost to a Cuban and it is an acknowledged fact of the Cubans pedigree in Olympic boxing

So you can imagine my slight annoyance, while flipping through the dailies the next day I learnt the Nigerian boxer’s opponent was actually a Ghanaian not a Cuban, the thoughts I had a few days back came like a deluge.

If I might be excused at this point I do not have an inferior opinion of our Ghanaian brothers. I am sure most of us would generally agree they are generally a peace loving, simpleminded and admirable set of people. Rather, for me this is just a mirror reflection of just how far conditions in Nigeria have degenerated.

I remember back in those days when Ghanaians use to troop into Nigeria in their numbers in search of the Golden Fleece, back then we had a lot of them in our havens of learning. I remember some in my early school years; the aunty Margaret the dreaded French teacher, the gentle Mr.Kingsley, Mr. Mensah, the man who had a small frame, yet could unleash such ferocious strokes that would make one’s buttocks quiver and cause free flow of tears from the eyes, then my early secondary years the cold icy faced Mr Woglo, with a mean stare permanently plastered on his face. All with their lovely vein of accented English, especially when they pronounced the word ‘came’

But it now appears the tides have changed. I am constantly being hit with this reality. Now the rate at which Nigerians troop to Ghana either for business, relaxation or at it extremes to resettle is disconcerting. I know a lot of people who now go to Ghana to purchase and sell all sorts of goods in Nigeria. Recently a friend of mine went to Ghana to purchase items to sell in Nigeria, she brought back packs of chocolates some of which she gave me, I was impressed at the packaging and further impressed when I noted it was made in Ghana. Looking through the range of female footwear, they were also simple and nice, evidenced by the rate at which they were bought. Some days later someone brought some nice fabric to the office to sell. When I asked where they were made she replied Ghana! All these I was musing about playfully in my mind, until the Olympic boxing bout episode.

I think this is a poignant reflection of a gross and taken for granted reality of conditions in Nigeria. Once again the intention here is not to engender any xenophobic feeling towards our Ghanaian compatriot, rather to their credit, I think it is testament of a people who despite having less than we do are still able to create a haven for themselves and for others to bask in. it was Ghanaian president, Kwame Nkrumah at independence, speaking of the vision for Ghana, "We got to make our little country an example for the rest of Africa."
It is inexcusable! Considering the awesome and intimidating potential in terms of resources and manpower, Nigeria still rank as one of the poorest countries, with most citizens living below poverty line.
It is inexcusable! That despite of the fact that, billions are siphoned from government quarters, the government finds it difficult to raise the minimum wages of teachers and others, to reasonable standards.
It is inexcusable! In the face of the facts that Nigeria ranks as one of the leading oil producers, basic infrastructure that furthers all round societal development- power, water, road, water amongst others is still at a minimal level to put it mildly.
It is inexcusable! That despite the unprecedented and rare missionary sense with which Nuru Ribadu (former EFCC chairman) fought corruption; for his reward he was removed and demoted. While those who plundered the nation’s resources, walk free, heads held high, thriving in the corridors of power.
As my uncle says ‘it is only in Nigeria!’ We could go on, but I think the media is already doing a good job at that.
The lesson we can learn from this little country that has had upheavals of their own is this; with forthright, visionary and purposeful leadership and commitment on the path of the citizenry the possibilities for advancement are limitless

Akinwale Babatunde Ayorinde

1 comment: